Here is another installment in my Re-Vamping Vintage series, where I refurbish vintage items in need of repair or alteration. Hopefully you remember this dress from Monday's post - at only $19, I thought it was a great vintage buy, but it needed a few fixes. The biggest was a giant tear in one of the straps. I thought about how to repair it, but decided there was no easy fix and the best solution was to create new straps with the leftover material I cut from the hem.
1. Using the leftover material, I cut straps from both the metallic material and lining. I decided to use fusible interfacing, as well, to stabilize the fabric. I made these exactly like the original straps, except I matched the stripes.
2. The side seams were rather straight through the waist and hips (and had been altered and let out once before). I opened the seams through the hips a small amount (there wasn't much fabric to work with) and I took in the fabric near the waist about an inch or so.
3. I hemmed the new length and added a back vent for ease.
The dress still needs a little bit of work. The top of the dress over the bust folds in an awkward spot and the bodice side seams bunch somewhat. I may eventually get around to fixing these issues but the dress is now wearable.
With the leftover fabric, I decided to make a matching clutch. I used a gold exposed metal zipper and cut the fabric on the bias (on the front) to give it a chevron effect.