Tuesday, August 19, 2014

1970s Nightstand Rehab Project

Hello! Today I'm sharing this project I've been working on for a while - a 1970s nightstand rehab. I found these two nightstands on the local Atlanta Craiglist for $50 each and snatched them up. My original plan was just to paint them white (Sherwin Williams "Snowbound"), but once I got them home, I decided they were too chunky for my space and I also noticed humidity damage. However, I loved the detail on the doors and the brass hardware. I talked my Dad into building new cabinet boxes and we salvaged the doors (and inside drawer). I ordered the feet online (from Osborne Wood) and was planning to use marble remnants for the tops. That appeared to be too expensive so the last step in this project was painting and adhering wood tops. I love the way they turned out! Here are some photos along the way...

On the left - both nightstands (the previous owner had started to sand them). On the right - my Dad working on cleaning and sanding the doors as I paint the boxes. He also shiny-ed up all the hardware.

Some construction pictures my Dad took during the build.

On the left - the left door has 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of the paint; the right door has 1 coat of primer. On the right - all the feet getting a few coats of paint.

They are actually the same color (Sherwin Williams "Snowbound") - the one on the right sits close to a window and reflects light differently. My new bed from Overstock {headboard here}.

Above - Aralia leaf, rose quartz, and mini orchid. Inside detail showing the salvaged drawer.

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week!


Anonymous said...

These look so good after the painting and rework :) Your bedroom looks great!


K said...

Great eye! Love how you salvaged them- I'm not sure I couldn't talked my Dad into taking on that project. Love the look of your bedroom!

Jeans and a Teacup said...

Looks amazing! YOu guys did a great job!
Jeans and a Teacup

Alela Sirah said...

What a transformation!! Love the room styling too!